This year’s Lakers team could be summed up in one word. Dream. After being knocked out of the playoffs in 2012 by the Thunder, the Lakers revamped their roster signing free agent Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, and trading for Dwight Howard for Andrew Bynum. Lakers fanatics were calling this the new Dream Team.
Too bad the only dreams were the imaginative ones that the players had with their game.
- Kobe dreamed that he was a 20 year old again.
- Nash dreamed that Kobe would actually let him run the offense.
- Artest dreamed he could hit a 3 pointer.
- Pau dreamed about being able to play close to the basket again.
- Dwight dreamed that his back would’ve healed from offseason back surgery.
- Antawn dreamed that he would be the leader of an offense bench squad.
- Mike Brown dreamed that his Princeton Offense would work.
- Jim Buss dreamed that Mike D’antoni was a better coach than Mike Brown
- Fans dreamed that their twin towers plus Kobe and Nash running the floor would run away with the Western Conference and into the Finals against the Heat.
The season got off to a bad start with 0-8 preseason and lose Nash to a broken leg.
Five games into the season Mike Brown is fired, and Mike D’antoni is hired.
The Lakers season was up and down which led up to a .500 record on their Christmas day game against the Knicks.
By the all-star game the Lakers were four games under .500, out of the playoffs while the Clippers were battling for the best record in the league.
Just as the Lakers were climbing up into the playoffs Kobe suffers a major injury that would knock him out for the rest of the season, and most of next season as well.
The Steves took over the remaining games to get the Lakers amazingly the 7th seed in the playoffs on the very last day of the season.
The Lakers’ season mercifully came to an end on Sunday with the Spurs sweeping them out in the first round. With it comes questions on what is the team is going to look like next year. How long with Kobe be out? Is Dwight Howard going to resigned? WIll Pau be traded if Dwight comes back? Will Metta World Peace be amnestied? Will Nash return to health? What will the bench look like withf free agents to be Devin Ebanks, Andrew Goudelock, Darius Morris, Robert Sacre, Earl Clark, Antawn Jamison, and Jodie Meeks.